Employment Insurance benefits for self-employed people

Beginning in January 2011, self-employed Canadians will be able to access Employment Insurance (EI) special benefits. There are four types of EI special benefits:

Eligibility information

You may be eligible to access EI special benefits beginning in January 2011 if you:

  • are a self-employed person; and
  • are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada; and
  • have entered into an agreement with the Canada Employment Insurance Commission through Service Canada.

To read our memo that discusses this issue in more detail, please click here.